411 E. Main St
Blue Mound, KS
Blue Mound is a city in Linn County, Kansas, United States. It was founded in 1882. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 275.
Centerville is an unincorporated community in Linn County, Kansas, United States. Centerville is 16.5 miles west-northwest of Pleasanton. Centerville has a post office with ZIP code 66014.
206 Commercial Street
La Cygne, KS
La Cygne is located 4 miles west of U.S. Highway 69 on Kansas Highway 152 (Linn County 2200 Road) in extreme eastern Kansas. The city lies in one of the most beautiful valleys of the state in the northern portion of Linn County. La Cygne was established in 1869 on the banks of the Marais des Cygnes River. The French translation for Marais des Cygnes means “Marsh of the Swans”. The French translation for La Cygne means “The Swan”.
La Cygne’s population is 1149 according to the 2010 census. The city offers public water, sewer, and natural gas services to its residents and businesses. Refuse can be taken to the local compactor or, for a monthly fee, pick-up is available at your home or place of business. Electrical services are provided by Kansas City Power & Light. Local phone service, Long distance, televison, high speed internet services provided through a fiber to the home network and cellular services are all available through Peoples Telecommunications, LLC.
22412 E 2400 Road
Linn Valley, KS
Linn Valley had its start in the 1970s as a planned community centered around a lake. It was incorporated as a city in 1998.
112 2nd ST
Mound City, KS
Mound City is the most picturesque town in the state. It nestles close under the shelter of Sugar Mound which extends in the form of a crescent around the east and south sides of the town. Beautiful wooded hills are to be seen in every direction, with fertile valleys and winding streams between. On those hills grow thousands of hard and sugar maple trees. He who has not visited this quaint old town in the fall of the year after the frost has kissed the leaves of these sugar trees, causing them to blush as with maiden modesty, has not seen the real beauty spot of Kansas. — J.T. Botkin
Parker was laid out about 1889. It was named for J. W. Parker, who owned the town site. The first post office in Parker was established in December 1888. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 277.
In 1864, General Alfred Pleasonton defeated the Confederates in the Battle of Mine Creek near present day Pleasanton. This battle, involving 25,000 men, resulted in a Union victory which ended the threat of Confederate invasion in Kansas.
Pleasanton had its start in the year 1869 by the building of the railroad through that territory. It was named in honor of General Alfred Pleasonton, though the city name is spelled different.
The first post office in Pleasanton was established in August 1869.
202 W. 4th Street
Prescott was founded in 1870. It provided a railroad stop for farmers as well as coal companies. It also provides a mirror of rural life in Kansas from the turn of the century on. The following accounts come to us from books available at our own library in Prescott, if you are interested in finding out more!